Wednesday, January 10, 2007

New Year's Blessing . . . sorta

I’m back from New Mexico, and I’d like to start this year with something of a new tradition. I want to say something. To wit:

To anyone whom I have ever in my life offended or hurt by word or deed or lack of action, I here-by humbly apologize and I hope you will try to forgive me.

To anyone who has ever hurt or offended me by word or deed or lack of action, I will try to forgive you.

And, finally . . .

To the terrorists who have slaughtered thousands in the name of religion, to the men in Washington who lied and slandered their way into office and then launched meaningless and horrible wars, to the party hacks who sent the tanks into Tiananmen . . . I hope you b*stards get brain aneurisms and die.

Sorry. But this Christian forgiveness stuff only goes so far. You know?

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous5:37 PM

    Hi Michael,

    I miss xcargo and your epic ruminations about Houston, TX. Been back?

    I was ruminating myself and just told my older son (biochem major at UVM, hotshot rower) this story.

    You liked a tale I told you years ago about a house in Raliegh, NC that had too many doors so I thought I would post it here.

    A friend of mine finished a year of combat in Vietnam and instead of going home, decided to travel the world.

    He was riding on a bus in Central America in the early 70s which stopped at a border crossing. When they checked his passport, he had to empty his pockets and the guard stole his pocket knife.

    He really liked his pocket knife. He had carried it for that year in Vietnam. Having it stolen made him mad.

    He looked at the border guard who had taken it and formed a plan. "I take his M-16 and stand between him and the other guards, they shoot him trying to get me, and I kill them."

    But then his plan hit a hitch. He could drive the bus if the driver didn't want to, but where to go? There were women aboard, some with babies and children. What would the men, women, and children on the bus do if he killed everyone at this border crossing?

    The soldier/border guard was a kid who had broken into a sweat while my friend made then discarded his plan. My friend turned and got back on the bus.

    All the other men on the bus knew that the guards stole jacknives. They has all hidden theirs.

    Every man on the bus held up his jacknife and offered to give it to my friend.

    He didn't take anyone's.


    Stay cool,

    Tim

    ReplyDelete