Friday, December 02, 2011

I apologize to you and the universe… And to you FOR the universe.

As you know, I've been sorting through all my worldly goods in preparation for my move to New Mexico. This means going over a great number old papers, which, in turn, means reviewing many memories—not all of them pleasant. They include encounters with people who, for whatever reason, caused me genuine injury.

And I found myself doing what we all do in such situation, i.e., reviewing my wounds and taking that strange satisfaction which comes from considering exactly what extractible b*stards one's enemies truly are.

But that's a dangerous thing because, eventually, it leads you to consider what evils you, yourself, might have done and those people you, yourself, might have done them to.

It's unsettling to remember such individuals—people I've offended, by design or (worse) by accident…people I've yelled at in moments of depression or ill-temper…people I've failed…people to whom I've been rude…

So, on reflection, I've decided to apologize to them all…everyone I've ever offended for whatever reason. And since I've no idea who you are, you who read this, maybe that includes you. Maybe I've hurt you somehow, knowingly or not-knowingly, in ignorance or bliss.

Ergo, to everyone, whether I know you or not, please accept my apology for whatever I have done. It is heart-felt. I truly regret my transgressions.

But saying that has led me to another observation. To wit, we are all of us subject to insult and injury, to the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune, and such is the nature of the cosmos that it does not feel concern for its offenses. Rather, it careens along, in its vast and chill indifference, leaving our mangled bodies in its wake.

Therefore, I decided to cover that one, too.

You will never receive an apology from the universe. Therefore, please accept one from me in its stead.

For all its sins, I'm heartily sorry.


Michael Jay Tucker
12/02/2011

No comments:

Post a Comment