Friday, January 06, 2012

explosive-cargo: the classics ;-)

So here's my first posting of 2012! (Insert tune of Auld Lang Syne here.) And to celebrate the new-year, I'm going to take a plunge into the past!

To explain, you know that before I did explosive-cargo as a blog, I did it as an ezine -- which was a sort of precursor to social networking. It was a personal publication that went out to anyone who wanted it via email.

And, Explosive-Cargo, a.k.a. "Xcargo," was my ezine. It was sometimes comic, sometimes political, sometimes very personal. It was also relatively successful as ezines went. I had something like 1000 readers, not counting pass-along, by the time I stopped doing it.

But, recently, I decided to take my old Xcargo columns and make them available under the Creative Commons mark. That's partly because I had been asked by readers to do so. And partly because I had started seeing pieces of them appear on the Web, sometimes without attribution. Ergo, I thought I'd better make some effort to control where and how the material was reproduced.

So, I'm gathering the old Xcargos and putting them online on a dedicated site -- specifically at https://sites.google.com/site/explosivecargo/

I haven't got them all yet. Frankly, I haven't had the time or energy to put them in place. (And, sometimes, I have to do a lot of conversation from various obscure file formats. Unfortunately, when I began the thing, so long ago and far away, I was using Apple word processors that are no longer compatible with anything on the planet.)

To date, I've only got the first quarter and part of the second quarter of 1997 posted. You can see them at: https://sites.google.com/site/explosivecargo/home/xcargo1997

I'll be posting the others over time. Or, at least, most of them. Some I decided were so awful that they should never see the light of day again. Others were rather good, and I will be making them available in books that you can or will be able to find on my Amazon author's page at http://www.amazon.com/-/e/B001KI3I6E .

Anyway, I hope you enjoy some of these. As I say, they are under a Creative Commons mark, specifically the" Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs CC BY-NC-ND" license. This means you can send any of these columns far and wide, but please don't modify them or use them for commercial purposes, and please keep my name on the work.

Finally, if you wish to cite my material, I prefer the following form of attribution: "Michael Jay Tucker, Name of article, Explosive-Cargo, date, URL." However, so long as you get my name right, I'll probably be happy.

Onward and upward.

mjt

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:48 PM

    This is very interesting, You're a very skilled blogger. I have joined your feed and look forward to seeking more of your excellent post. Also, I have shared your website in my social networks!
    Pace Setter 95-9919 MONZA Dual Outlet Exhaust Tip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks hugely!

      Sorry I took so long to answer. I, um, er, blush, didn't know that anyone was actually reading my material and, well, commenting...

      But now I do.

      cheers
      mjt

      Delete