Thursday, March 05, 2020

To Senator Warren, With Admiration

I saw today that Elizabeth Warren has ended her bid for the presidency. This saddens me. I did not vote for her in the primary, but I greatly respect her, and I think she would have made a terrific president.

Also, on a somewhat more primitive level, I would have loved to have seen her debate Trump. Her performance in taking down Michael Bloomberg was wonderful enough, but her utter evisceration of 45 would have been glorious to behold.

But, I suppose, she made the right choice given her performance on Super Tuesday. (Where were her voters?  Why did they not cast their ballots for her? It is a mystery to me -- just as I am bewildered by some of the young people who were so energetic in their support for Bernie Sanders on the web, but who somehow declined to actually appear at the polls.)

Still, she remains a Senator, and an intense pain to Wall Street and many rabid defenders of the status quo. We’ve not seen the last of her, I’m sure. As my wife put it to me this afternoon, she will have her place in our national history...and in our future. 

So, brava, Senator Warren! You have fought the good fight, and you will continue to do so.

I very much look forward to recounting your victories.






***

About me: I’m a writer and former journalist who has published material on everything from computers to the Jazz Age. (Among my small claims to fame is that I interviewed Steve Jobs just after that talented if complicated man got kicked out of Apple, and just before the company’s Board came begging him to come back.)


Please check out my new book, Padre: To The Island, a meditation on mortality, grief, and joy, based on the lives and deaths of two of the most amazing and unconventional people I ever met, my mother and father.


  Creative Commons License This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.

No comments:

Post a Comment