Wednesday, April 15, 2020

I don’t like Biden Either...VOTE for him ANYWAY

I am troubled by the number of people I’ve encountered of who late tell me that they cannot vote for Biden. They point to this less than stellar performance in the debates, to the (as yet completely unproven) accusations of sexual impropriety, and to his connections with the wealthy and the powerful. And they say that voting for the lesser of two evils is still voting for an evil.
But here’s the thing. The alternative to voting for Biden, is to passively support Donald Trump. 

To skip voting, or to throw away your vote on a hopeless Third Party, or to write in Bernie Sanders’ name on the ballot...none of those is helpful. They just give that much more power to the Deplorables who will line up obediently and vote for their orange glazed Führer no matter how obviously it is not in their own best interests to do so.

Oh, and have you noticed? The Right is actively attempting to suppress voter turnout...particularly of the young, of liberals, and of minorities. For Heaven’s sake, don’t do the Right any favors by suppressing your own vote...that is, by staying home on election day.

So, yeah, I would really rather be voting for Sanders or Warren. But Biden is what we’ve got.
If you must, think of him as a broken leg. Not great. But that is a hell of a lot better than having a broken neck.

Lesser of two evils, indeed.


Please?


***


About me: I’m a writer and former journalist who has published material on everything from computers to the Jazz Age. (Among my small claims to fame is that I interviewed Steve Jobs just after that talented if complicated man got kicked out of Apple, and just before the company’s Board came begging him to come back.)

Please check out my new book, Padre: To The Island, a meditation on mortality, grief, and joy, based on the lives and deaths of two of the most amazing and unconventional people I ever met, my mother and father.

  Creative Commons License This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.

No comments:

Post a Comment