Sunday, June 07, 2020

End Game For Trump?

I want to point out two stories that have appeared on the web recently, "The Trump Regime Is Beginning to Topple” by Franklin Foer in the Atlantic andWe are witnessing the birth of a movement — and the downfall of a presidentby Lucian K. Truscott IV in Salon. Both make the argument that we are seeing the beginning of the end for Trump, and that his regime’s demise will resemble those of despots abroad -- Slobodan Milošević, Muammar al-Gaddafi, and so on. Popular discontent will grow and grow, protests will become larger and larger, and finally the dictator will have no choice but to cut and run.

I sincerely hope that Foer and Truscott are right, and that soon we will witness the lovely sight of helicopters air-lifting the Orange One to a comfortable exile in someplace far, far away. Still, I’m pessimist enough to suspect that we have several more months of painful national angst to endure. (I’m just praying that it won’t be four more years.)

Though...let’s all do our best to turn Foer and Truscott into prophets. If there is anything we can do peacefully to make life uncomfortable for the grotesque little man behind his wall and in his White House bunker, let’s do it.

If we are lucky, or skillful, then maybe...just maybe...his nerve will fail, and cutting and running will happen sooner rather than later.

And thus spare us all the pain, the danger, and the peril of that final, fatal bite of the cornered rat…










About me: I’m a writer and former journalist who has published material on everything from computers to the Jazz Age. (Among my small claims to fame is that I interviewed Steve Jobs just after that talented if complicated man got kicked out of Apple, and just before the company’s Board came begging him to come back.)

Please check out my new book, Padre: To The Island, a meditation on mortality, grief, and joy, based on the lives and deaths of two of the most amazing and unconventional people I ever met, my mother and father.

  Creative Commons License This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.

No comments:

Post a Comment