Wednesday, May 27, 2020

A Ku Klux Rally In The Rose Garden

I saw an interesting piece in the Washington Post the other day, “Trump’s attempts to smear Obama could backfire spectacularly,” by Eugene Robinson. In it, Mr. Robinson argues that Trump’s current (and slightly unhinged) personal attacks on Barack Obama may not be the wisest course he would follow. He says that 45’s smear campaign might actually so infuriate Africa-Americans that they’ll be more likely to vote in November, and to vote for Democratic candidates.

I sure hope he’s right. The Democratic Party could really use the support.

But, part of me worries a bit. Trump has already done so much to alienate African-American voters. I mean, let’s face it, he’s done everything short of wearing a full Ku Klux outfit at the State of the Union address. So, like, what else can he do to piss them off even more?

Still, maybe I’m just underestimating him.

After all, he’s already proved that if any man can turn a fiasco into a debacle into an outright disaster...

Tis he...





***



About me: I’m a writer and former journalist who has published material on everything from computers to the Jazz Age. (Among my small claims to fame is that I interviewed Steve Jobs just after that talented if complicated man got kicked out of Apple, and just before the company’s Board came begging him to come back.)

Please check out my new book, Padre: To The Island, a meditation on mortality, grief, and joy, based on the lives and deaths of two of the most amazing and unconventional people I ever met, my mother and father.

  Creative Commons License This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.

No comments:

Post a Comment