Friday, May 01, 2020

Because It's May Day And We Need A Break From Politics

Because, dang it, it's May 1, and we need a break from politics, here's something different... 

My newest toy is a Blue snowball microphone. I'm still getting the hang of recording my own voice, but here's me reading Shakespeare's Sonnet 29. This is on Soundcloud.

You'll hear a few pops and S's in it, but, as I say, I'm just getting the hang of this. Also, if you listen hard enough, you'll hear wind chimes in the background. I was originally going to edit them out, but they sounded so mystical that I left them in.

Anyway, here's the link in full, if the above doesn't work:

https://soundcloud.com/michael-jay-tucker/sonnet-29


And if you're interested in the text, here's the Bard's original:


Sonnet 29: When, in disgrace with fortune and men’s eyes

When, in disgrace with fortune and men’s eyes,
I all alone beweep my outcast state,
And trouble deaf heaven with my bootless cries,
And look upon myself and curse my fate,
Wishing me like to one more rich in hope,
Featured like him, like him with friends possessed,
Desiring this man’s art and that man’s scope,
With what I most enjoy contented least;
Yet in these thoughts myself almost despising,
Haply I think on thee, and then my state,
(Like to the lark at break of day arising
From sullen earth) sings hymns at heaven’s gate;
       For thy sweet love remembered such wealth brings
       That then I scorn to change my state with kings.



~~~



About me: I’m a writer and former journalist who has published material on everything from computers to the Jazz Age. (Among my small claims to fame is that I interviewed Steve Jobs just after that talented if complicated man got kicked out of Apple, and just before the company’s Board came begging him to come back.)

Please check out my new book, Padre: To The Island, a meditation on mortality, grief, and joy, based on the lives and deaths of two of the most amazing and unconventional people I ever met, my mother and father.

  Creative Commons License This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.

No comments:

Post a Comment