Saturday, May 30, 2020

Anti-Mask Men With Small Peenies

I find it fascinating that not wearing a mask in the midst of the current pandemic has, somehow, become a means of demonstrating just how big your penis is. I mean, how tough you are. I see postings on Facebook and elsewhere reading, “I refuse to wear a mask because I refuse to live in fear.”

And, already, we’ve seen people take the next logical step from there. That is, to say that wearing a mask must be a sign of weakness and cowardliness. And, of course, weaklings are made to b e bullied. That is the Will Of God...as interpreted by the church of the Deplorable...

Thus, the anti-mask movement has revealed its true colors with remarkable speed. It is no longer about the freedom to go without a mask. It is now about the suppression of my right to protect my health as I see fit.

Or, to put it another way, the anti-mask movement was never about liberty. It was, and is, about being a bully.

Nothing more. And nothing less.







***


About me: I’m a writer and former journalist who has published material on everything from computers to the Jazz Age. (Among my small claims to fame is that I interviewed Steve Jobs just after that talented if complicated man got kicked out of Apple, and just before the company’s Board came begging him to come back.)

Please check out my new book, Padre: To The Island, a meditation on mortality, grief, and joy, based on the lives and deaths of two of the most amazing and unconventional people I ever met, my mother and father.

  Creative Commons License This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.

No comments:

Post a Comment