Sunday, May 31, 2020

Masks Are So Hot Right Now

So I read in HuffPost that Fox News’ Brit Hume attempted to shame Joe Biden for wearing a mask on Memorial Day. Apparently, according to Mr. Hume, Biden looked silly in a mask. And, you know, all the cool kids refuse to wear ‘em. Particularly when they’re out smoking behind the gym.

The word I think I’m looking for is “idiotic.” Of course, no one looks cool wearing a mask. Well, exceptions made for Batman and the Lone Ranger. but you get my point. A mask is reasoned, rational, choice with which you try to protect your health as best you can. It is not a God Damn fashion statement. Period.

But my point is that I worry about the American people, and particularly Americans who support Donald Trump and bash mask wearers and claim that Covid-19 is hoax and all the rest of it. They are endangering themselves, and everyone else...



What the GOP has become...

And they are doing so using most adolescent language possible. They sound and act like the bullies and Big Men/Women On Campus I knew in Junior High. And, like the bullies I knew in Junior High, their behavior (like smoking, “up with your rules”) may serve them well in the short run, but quite possibly kill them in the long.

In other words...

Dear God, what happened to Americans? When did we abandon all signs of maturity and adulthood?





Source: Fox News' Brit Hume Face-Mask Shames Joe Biden; Twitter Goes Bonkers by Mary Papenfuss, https://www.yahoo.com/huffpost/brit-hume-joe-biden-trump-face-mask-shaming-032451198.html


***



About me: I’m a writer and former journalist who has published material on everything from computers to the Jazz Age. (Among my small claims to fame is that I interviewed Steve Jobs just after that talented if complicated man got kicked out of Apple, and just before the company’s Board came begging him to come back.)

Please check out my new book, Padre: To The Island, a meditation on mortality, grief, and joy, based on the lives and deaths of two of the most amazing and unconventional people I ever met, my mother and father.

  Creative Commons License This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.

No comments:

Post a Comment